Constantine the Philosopher University (CPU) has been foundeed in 1959 as the Faculty of Education designed for teacher training. The Faculty developed quickly in size and numbers. In 1992, an independent University of Education was established. Since 1996 it has been called Constantine the Philosopher University. At present the University has an enrolment of 12,000 students and 800 employees at its five faculties.
The Faculty of Natural Sciences at Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra was founded in March, 1993. In May, 1993, it was established as a part of the system of public university institutions providing a full range of study programmes at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels.
The Faculty of Natural Sciences is aimed at preparation of qualified pedagogues teaching academic subjects: mathematics, physics, chemistry, geography, biology, informatics, environmentalistics at primary and secondary schools. It also provides education and training for the students-specialists in the field of natural sciences, mathematics and informatics.